Sunday, April 30, 2017

Synthetic Waxes Durability Test Update: Week 2

Please see here for the initial post.

I did not intend to publish an update so soon but what I saw today struck me by surprise. This made me very eager to share the initial results.

It was just after 2 weeks since my wife's daily drive had been sealed. Today, I decided to give it a wash. There were a few days of rain and many days of sunshine in between. Since I would not be using any spray wax on the test panel, I decided to go with Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax.

See My Car Wash Shampoos for more on this shampoo

So without further ado, here is a quick update.
Camera, action!
Play the video in full screen to have a better view. I recommend using YouTube to slow down the playback speed.




This is just after the car has been rinsed clean.

Just to refresh your memory, here is what were applied.


Some close up shots below.

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax

Fusso 12 Months Wax

Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax

It seems that most of the sealants do not bead water very well after just 2 weeks in our hot and humid climate except for Fusso 12 Months Wax. However, most of them are sheeting water just fine. In order to help quantify the behavior, I have tabularized them with a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best.



SealantsWater BeadingWater Sheeting
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection34
Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax34
Fusso 12 Months Wax55
Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax13



Being a first time user of Fusso 12 Months wax, I was really surprised by its hydrophobic properties. Water just would not wet the surface and will just bead up. Looks like we are in for a wonderful ride.
I just wanted to stress that the above rating is very subjective. Again, there is no absolute right or wrong in car detailing.

So, what do you guys think?

That's all for this post. Stay tuned for more updates.
Happy detailing.

4 comments:

  1. How long do you wait to haze before buff for fusso coat? I just ordered collinite 845..will be testing it in our climate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waited for about 15 minutes. It's entirely hazed up by then. Pls share the result on collinite 854 once you have it. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. hi . I'm amazed by your effort and knowledge in detailing your car. Would you also be able to share how do we wash the applicator pad / microfiber towel ; how often do we need to do that ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I normally wash applicator pads and microfiber towels with dish soap. Wet the pads/towels and add a few squirts of dish soap. "Massage" it in and rinse. I think the pads/towels should be washed after every use.

      Delete