Thursday, June 16, 2016

Spray Wax

I have mentioned spray wax a couple of times in my previous posts. Now, let us take a look at it.

Spray wax as the name implies is something that we spray onto car surfaces. Unlike traditional paste wax or liquid wax (or sealant), spray wax is very watery. It has properties that provide protection to car surfaces and to enhance shine and gloss. It is very easy to apply. Just spray on and wipe. That is why I would recommend to spray wax after every wash.

Although it is easy easy to apply, it does not last very long. A few days maybe. A week at max. Although some manufacturers claimed that their spray waxes can last for months (Optimum and CarPro), I do not think it is the case here in our Malaysian climate. So, that is why I recommend spray waxing after every wash. And it is easy. I can wax an entire car in less than 15 minutes.

Start by spraying some spray wax on a clean damped microfiber towel to sort of prime it. Then spray onto car surfaces in small panels (say 2' x 2') and use the "primed" microfiber to wipe. Flip to a clean side of the microfiber towel or use another clean dry microfiber towel to buff off. Shake well before each spray.

Since this is not traditional wax, do not let spray wax dry on car surfaces. If it does, add more sprays and wipe off.




My Spray Waxes


These are the spray waxes that I currently have in hand. There is another brand that I used before and I quite like it but I ran out of it and threw the bottle away for recycling. So I do not have a picture of it. So, an honorable mention to Simoniz Instant Wax/ Simoniz Instant Shine (I am not sure if both are from the same Simoniz company as their packagings look vastly different and they smell different too).

Spray wax

From left to right: Meguiar's Synthetic X-press Spray Wax, Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, Meguiar's Gold Class Quik Wax, 3M Auto Essentials Wax, Turtle Wax Express Shine, CarPro Reload.

Meguiar's Synthetic X-press Spray Wax & Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax


These two are almost the same thing. One is in a gallon-form for so-called professional use a the other is for normal consumer use. However, they have a different scent. After much calculations, I decided to go for a gallon for more savings as I will be using spray wax regularly. It is around RM70 for 15.2oz and RM330 for a gallon or 128oz (from Amazon or Lazada). This spray wax is easy to apply. Just mist wipe and buff. It creates a slick to touch surface that I like very much and the shine is good.


Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax

Meguiar's Synthetic X-press Spray Wax

Meguiar's Gold Class Quik Wax


This; to me; is almost the same as their Ultimate Quik Wax but it is listed to come with Carnuba for that extra deep gloss for darker cars. One of the main reasons for me trying this is that it is slightly less expensive than Ultimate Quik Wax. I also noticed that it is less likely to streak on dark coloured cars. With Ultimate Quik Wax, I will need to buff a little bit more to prevent streaking (greasy/ oily marks on car surfaces) but with this it is easier. Same thing, mist on wipe buff. A little goes a long way. This Gold Class Quik Wax costs RM60 per 16oz.

Meguiar's Gold Class Quik Wax

3M Auto Essentials Wax


I personally do not recommend this product. It seems more like a "fragrance water" to me. It does not feel slick after applying and it does not give a me a feeling that there is a layer of protection on my car. The car surfaces feels exactly the same before spray waxing. This is actually my second bottle. I bought the first one and thought it was a bad batch but the second bottle confirmed my observations. It is a total disappointment! Don't waste your money on this stuff.

3M Auto Essentials Wax


Turtle Wax Express Shine


This is the most affordable product among all my other spray waxes. I can get it for less than RM35 in Tesco (16oz per bottle). It performs well too. Slick and shinny. However, the endurance is slightly less than Mequiar's spray waxes but it is still great value for money. If I can buy this in bulk, I will definitely go for it. I still buy this regularly as I can use it on my wheel arcs, alloy rims, and engine bay. More on that later. Although not listed, I have tried using this as a drying agent when I am in a hurry. After washing, I sprayed this onto the wet surfaces of a car and dried off with a plush microfiber towel. The results were great. I think it is safe to say that this can be used as a "wax as you dry" product.

Turtle Wax Express Shine Carnauba Wax


CarPro Reload


I got this several years back. In fact, this is a left-over bottle. Although it is meant to be used for cars coated with CarPro CQuartz, it is a good spray wax in general but very hard to get here in Malaysia and very pricey. The last time I bought this is for RM100 per 400ml (13.5oz). On the bottle, it is claimed to last for 4 months but again that does not apply in Malaysian climate. This product feels very "oily" and it can streak a bit. It can be diluted 1:1 with clean water for darker cars to reduce streaking.

Car Pro Reload


Spray Waxed!


Here are some pictures of my just spray waxed daily drive. One of the beauties of spray waxes is that they can be used on any surface - paint, plastic, glass. Unlike traditional waxes, they will not stain plastic trims. They actually add more gloss and protect plastic trims. I have seen some detailer using a spray wax even for interior plastics like dash and door panels. It works but I have yet to try it myself.






Other Uses of Spray Wax


Alloy Rims


Since spray waxes can be used to protect literally any surface, I use them for my alloy rims and wheel arcs. 

For alloy rims, just spray the wax and wipe with a old microfiber towel dedicated for rims.







Wheel Arcs


I also use spray waxes for wheel arcs. Usually after cleaning wheel arcs with wheel cleaners, the black plastics on the wheel arcs will dry off to a whitish hue. I think this could be due to the strong cleaning agents from the wheel cleaners.

For wheel arcs, I would normally spray on liberally and leave it to dry. It will dry to a deep rich black.


Engine Bay


I also use spray waxes for engine bay. After cleaning the engine bay waterlessly (will be posting that in the near future), I will use spray wax to protect parts like plastic covers, hoses, painted surfaces and so on inside the engine bay. Why not use a dedicated engine shine or plastic trim shine for plastic parts, one might ask. Well, plastic trim protectant tends to be slightly "sticky" and will attract a lot of dust and dirt.



There are just too many uses of spray waxes. To me, spray wax is truly one of the most amazing inventions is car care world. If you are into cleaning and maintaining your car, grab a bottle and start spraying.

Updated 4th Sep 2016: Check out a new addition to my collection of spray waxes. Autoglym Express Wax. Click here.

11 comments:

  1. I love your post as you did compare different products and give review and prices of each product. Keep it up bro. By the way, how about Optimum Car Wax? Have you tried it before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad that you like it. I haven't tried Optimum Car Wax. Maybe I'll try it once I used up the Meguiar's :-)

      Delete
    2. May i know how many sprays you put on single door panel? I spray only once as per some detailers mentioned but i feel it is weak in terms of beading and sheeting.

      Delete
  2. I saw your comment on meguair quik wax on lazada... already buy but not uet receive..
    Like your blog very much bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, enjoy ur blog tremendously. Keep up the good work.

    Just curious have u tried the Petronas Durance Fast Wax? You can find it in Petronas station. I got it around rm10 for a 400ml spray bottle. Just curious how it compare to the rest of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words.
      I did not know that Petronas has a spray wax. I will try to get hold of one if I can find it.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy reading all your post for spray wax. So what's your goto spray wax now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks reading. If I'm lazy, I'll use Autoglym Express as it can be used wet but if I'm a bit diligent, I'll use Meguiar's Xpress as I have a lot of it in stock.

      Delete
  5. Hi there, i would like to know how you purchased sprees spray wax on amazon? How long did it take and how much they charged you for the import?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't mentioned where you're from. If you're like me; statsta in Malaysia; it would take about a week or two for the item to reach. Amazon will charge shipping and import charges. Shipping depends on the size and weight and sometimes could be more expensive than the item itself. Import charges is to cover import tax like GST and agent fee. So you don't need to go to customs yourself to clear the items. And if the item is non taxable or the tax is less, they'll refund you but that could take months. And even if the item is non taxable (below MYR500 in Malaysia), they'll still charge you the agent fee. So you won't get a full refund .
      For me, I'll just normally assume no refund.

      Delete